1. This competition was created to give an opportunity to sound effect and foley artists of any age and nationalities to create original foley/SFX for a short film and win prizes and potentially get feedback from a professional jury. The contestants can use computer sfx and /or recorded foley as well in their entry.
2. By entering the competition participants agree that they have read and understood these Rules and agree that they will be bound by them. They agree that Foley the World can amend these rules at any time at its discretion.
3. Entry to the competition is made via the official Competition web page: https://foleytheworld.com and by following instructions. The entry will be considered complete when the payment of the required registration fee is successfully processed and received and the sound has been uploaded online to Youtube and the video link has been sent in via the Foley the World entry form. Contestants are required to register at the registration page: https://foleytheworld.com/registration by paying the Entry fee and by submitting works synced with the audiovisual material online at the official entry form. Entries that are incorrect or incomplete will be not taken into consideration at the competition. No refund of the Registration Fee will be made. Foley the World reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual for any reason.
4. The competition is open to participants of all ages and nationalities. However please note that the aim of the contest is to provide opportunities for beginners, amateurs, fresh starters – everyone who do not have yet more than 15 (fifteen) IMDB credits, and did not contribute to any major studio’s movie or series. (If you are not sure about your compliancy, please send us a message to firstname.lastname@example.org !)
5. The contestants participating in the competition will receive a Short Film, no longer than two and a half (2,5) minutes in total duration for which they will have to create original foley/SFX.
6. By participating the contestants agree that the entry is solely original to them.
7. The brief contains certain requirements and instructions about the process. No further restrictions – participants can use any kind of live or virtual effects.
8. The participants are free to send their work, even before the contest’s deadline, but it is allowed only once to upload and send the final entries at the official entry form. We will not accept multiple entries from one person, the first version that we receive from you will be considered as final.
9. Each contestant must deliver the video file of the movie synchronised with the original sound by midnight GMT+1, May 15. 2022 via the official upload site with an uploaded version to YouTube.
10. Up to five (5) finalists will be announced on our website. The rest of the contestants will receive their ranking via e-mail in the following weeks after the announcement.
11. Winners will receive their prizes specified on the website. The decisions of Foley the World and the jury will be final and there will be no appeal.
12. The organiser reserves the right to award additional prizes.
13. The organiser has the right to cancel the Competition in case of insufficient number of applications. In such a case participants’ entry fee will be refunded within 60 days excluding the applicable bank fees.
14. All awards winners may receive the prize packages courtesy of our contest sponsors.
15. Foley the World reserves the right to change awards or prizes. All changes will be related to all entrants’ awards recipients and finalists.
16. The participants retain full ownership of their work, but by entering the competition, assign, on a non-exclusive basis and free of charge, their copyright to their entry submitted for the competition and their artistic performances and recordings in a territorially and time-unlimited way for usage in relation to the current and future Foley the World competitions. Copyright is not provided for the organizers for other topics (e.g. usage in media unrelated to Foley the World).
To sum up copyright permissions with simple words: we only need to have right according to your work, to make it possible to showcase in case if you win or get to the top ten. We guarantee, that we will not use your entry for any other purposes, then to showcase in public media posts with all credits granted to you.
17. The participants of the competition grant the organizer their permission to publish their image, which has been recorded by any photographic or recording techniques for the needs of organizing the competition and in accordance with the statutory purposes of the competition organizer.
18. Contestant does not have the right to assign rights to their version of the entry (sfx + video) – this does not affect copyrights of the original sfx alone – or the original film. The original film owners retain all the rights to the movie scenes used in this contest. The individual submitting a score to Foley the World hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the score for consideration. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Foley the World, its organizers, judges, sponsors, and partners, individually and collectively, from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to submitted material. The burden of determining that any material is not protected by copyright, trademark, rights of privacy, publicity or any other proprietary rights rests with the contestant. The entrant shall bear the sole liability for any damage resulting from any infringement of copyrights, proprietary rights, or any other harm resulting from such a submission.
19. Dissemination or distribution of the copyright-protected footage received from Foley the World (with or without the added work by the contestant): Foley the World holds the rights to present the winning submissions on the official website of the competition (foleytheworld.com). The participants should request from Foley the World representatives if the filmmaker grants permission to allow contestants to distribute the film with their added work, and to receive information about the requirements of distributing the footage.
20. By taking part in the competition the participant declares to hold exclusive and unlimited copyright to the sent entries and to assume responsibility towards the organizer for legal faults of the submitted entries and in particular for claims of third parties against the organizer connected with breaking their copyright.
21. Should third parties lay a claim against the organizer on account of breach by the participants of copyright or personal rights of third parties connected with the usage of the entries, the participants of the contest shall indemnify the organizer against any and all of such third parties.
22. Unless otherwise provided by applicable law a complete legal relationship between the participant of the competition and the organizer shall be governed by Hungarian Law.
23. The organiser of the competition makes final decisions upon all organisational issues. Such decisions are irrevocable and non-claimable.
24. The organizer has the right to change the rules of participation. By registering to the Foley the World Competition, participants agree that they shall be bound by the terms of this agreement
If you have any questions about the rules or your compliancy, please send us a message to email@example.com and we will reach out to you as fast as possible!